Lower Back Pain Treatment at The Healing Touch Chiropractic
The Healing Touch Chiropractic in Midtown Sacramento, California, has a skilled chiropractic team offering a full array of services to alleviate your aches and pains, including lower back pain. We provide a holistic approach to treatment, the underlying cause is treated, not just the symptoms.
What Causes Lower Back Pain?
Our lower backs are under constant stress during daily activities. The muscles support the weight of our upper bodies and determine posture. The nerves are responsible for flexing and rotating our hips for walking. Over time, these nerves can become agitated leading to a great deal of pain.
Lower back pain is a common complaint; nearly everyone will have it at some point. It can begin around age 30 and become more prevalent and severe with time. There are many causes of lower back pain, the most common being a pulled muscle or ligament. The pain can happen immediately, or build up over time. Causes of lower back pain include:
- Lifting a heavy object is probably the #1 way of injury.
- Twisting and falling can also cause instantaneous pain.
- It's not uncommon for professional and amateur athletes to experience sports injuries.
- Inactivity can also lead to problems in the lower back because the muscles are weak.
- Jobs requiring repetitive lifting or twisting motions often cause lower back pain.
- Sitting at a desk for prolonged periods, particularly if slouched, or assuming an injurious sleeping position can lead to postural pain.
Symptoms of Lower Back Pain
The degree of symptoms experienced from lower back pain can differ, but symptoms tend to be pronounced. Symptoms of lower back pain include:
- Dull, aching pain: Pain that is relegated to the lower back is dull, aching pain. It can be accompanied by muscle spasms, trouble walking, and pain that radiates to the hips and pelvis.
- Stinging, tingling, numbing pain: This pain follows the distribution of the sciatic nerve into the thighs, legs, and feet. It usually occurs on only one side of the body.
- Pain after prolonged sitting: Sitting puts excessive pressure on the discs.
- Pain on getting up: There may be pain and stiffness when getting up in the morning.
Diagnosing Lower Back Pain
Your chiropractor can treat many spinal and musculoskeletal aches and pains, whether acute (instantaneous) or chronic (lasting more than six weeks). It's important to determine the origin of the pain. A detailed medical history, a lifestyle assessment, a description of your symptoms, a physical examination, and tests such as x-rays, will help isolate the source of pain and determine your treatment plan.
Treatments for Lower Back Pain
The chiropractor can offer a few solutions for your back pain, depending on its origin, to include:
- Heat or cold therapy.
- Therapeutic massage.
- Electrical stimulation or ultrasound.
- Exercises and stretching.
- Patient education.
To Get Your Back on Track
Our chiropractic staff at The Healing Touch Chiropractic in Midtown Sacramento can diagnose and treat the cause of your lower back pain. You can call us today at (916) 447-3344 to set up an appointment. Don’t delay, treat your lower back pain now!
We are located at 1919 21st Street, Suite 101, Sacramento, California 95811